As I spent the first half of the year whining and crying -literally- about the struggle of adulthood, the second half of the year became the period when I had the biggest wave of emotional and mental growth. Heck, I even thought I was already 24 at a point of time. (I’m still 23, not like there’s a big difference, but still.)
2017 is ending, and just like all other years before, I made plans and goals for a better year ahead. There were many plans this year that I didn’t get to fulfil. Many nights I laid awake overthinking and generally being an emotional wreck. To be fair, I didn’t have a very productive year. It was like a very long filler episode, without much progression in my life. It was only after June that things got brighter, and next year, I intend it to be even brighter.
However, I have to stop myself from going down the path of over ambition again. But as a human, we all have sudden bursts of overconfidence. And when we fail, we feel the fall much much harder.
Hence, to avoid my future 2018 self from ridiculous expectations, I will write a small list of reminders just in case I need 2017 self to slap me in the face. Maybe these reminders might help you too.
- Keep your goals small, relevant, and with a bit more discipline, reachable.
- A better year doesn’t have to begin at the start of the year. It could be the middle, it could be towards the end. Fate doesn’t care that it’s January 1st.
- Don’t intend on fulfilling a success story. Success is a lie. Haha.
- Dedicate the year to learning new things.
- Lastly, focus on yourself.
With all that said, I really hope 2018 will be as promising as I am making it out to be, but if it doesn’t.. who cares! There will always be next next year…